Friday, December 5, 2008

case joinery

When dovetails are mentioned people generally think of a drawers construction - attaching a drawer front to a drawer side etc (like last weeks post).
The same joinery can be employed to attach cabinet pieces together. One example is much like a large drawer and simply involves joining the case sides to the top and bottom

There are of course other ways to use this joint, one being the sliding dovetail joint.

I start by cutting a dado in the top and bottom panels the same width as the gables.

Then I follow up with a dovetail bit in the router to cut the slot.

Now it’s time to fit the gables (or in this case the stiles)

I start by roughing out the kerf on the tablesaw, than I make my layout marks for the dovetail with a marking knife.



I finish the shoulder cuts with a handsaw...

And pare away the waist with a sharp chisel.

Now I repeat these steps on the other side.



Once the stile is finished I check it for fit. I want a tight fit that requires very little glue to hold it in place.


No comments: